Pope Decree allows early conclave

Pope Benedict XVI has issued a decree today which allows to bringing forward the Conclave to determine his successor. According to the rules of 1996, the conclave had actually to begin between March 15 and 20.

With this Decree (motu proprio), the Pope grants the Cardinals to bring forward the start of the conclave, as soon as all papal electors have arrived in Rome, said Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi. Recently there had been speculations over an earlier meeting of the Conclave, after several cardinals had apparently voted for it.

The bringing forward of the Conclave, to the first half of March, will allow Benedict’s successor to better prepare for the Holy Week starting on March 24, and Easter which is on on March 31. There had been speculations in Rome now for days about a conclave beginning on the 10th or 11th of March. The date of the beginning of the Conclave is expected to be announced by end of Benedict’s pontificate.

Benedict XVI. announced his resignation for the upcoming Thursday – February 28. The rules which had been defined by Benedict’s predecessor John Paul II. in the Apostolic Constitution “Universi Dominici Gregis” in 1996, provided that the conclave has to start between 15 and 20 days after the Holy See has become vacant. The timeframe should allow the Cardinals from around the world to go to Rome. This time however, numerous Cardinals have already gathered in the Vatican to bid farewell to Benedict.

Lombardi had recently declared, the rules for the meeting of the conclave were designed for the case that a pope dies. With the resignation of Benedict XVI., the situation is different, and “it is possible to interpret the rules differently”. It is crucial that all Cardinals are gathered, and with the resignation announcement they had more time to do so.

The 117 Cardinals eligible to vote, which may not be older than 80 years, will hold their Conclave in secret sessions in the Sistine Chapel. According to current knowledge, two eligible Cardinals will not participate in any way in the election – Cardinal Julius Riyadi Darmaatmadja from Indonesia and the retired Scottish Cardinal O’Brien.

Sede Vacante – Vatican issues medals, coins and stamps

The Vatican Philatelic and Numismatic Office has announced that stamps will be issued after the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI., during the time were there is no Pope. The series with the note “Sede vacante 2013” will include four stamps with an identical motif and be valid only until the inauguration of the new Pope.

The stamps with a value of 70 cents for Italy, 85 cents for Europe and the Mediterranean, two euros for Africa, Asia and the United States and 2.5 euros for Australia will be issued at the Vatican post offices and in the Vatican pilgrimage Office in St. Peter’s square. A high collector’s value is expected.
sede-vacante-stamps Continue reading

Vatileaks: Ex-butler obliged to silence

The former Valet of the Pope, Paolo Gabriele, who is been convicted of document theft to 18 months imprisonment, then pardoned, is committed to silence.

The Italian news agency ANSA reported, the 46 Gabriele has signed a document in which he committed to the confidentiality of all the information from his time in the service of Pope Benedict XVI. The document was written by the lawyers of the Vatican.

Even after the pardon Benedict had kept in touch with Gabriele. He had him and his family “proven interest and paternal closeness” it says from Vatican sources. Gabriele has started to work this week as a clerk in the Vatican’s Children’s Hospital “Bambino Gesu”, a hospital in the Trastevere district of San Paolo.

paolo-gabriele

Sentencing in October, pardon in December

The Pope had pardoned Gabriele on December 23. Thereupon he was allowed to leave the cell where he was detained since the conviction in October. Gabriele was convicted on October 6 by a Vatican Court, because he had copied confidential documents in the so-called  „Vatileaks“ affair and passed on to the journalist Gianluigi Nuzzi. Nuzzi published them in his exposé. According to investigations, Gabriele sent Nuzzi numerous copied letters and secret documents from the home of the Pope.

When the documents were published, observers speculated intra Vatican infighting had been the real cause of the breach of trust, one of the targets was Cardinal Secretary of State Tarcisio Bertone. Nuzzis book had made worldwide headlines in the past few months.

Pope Benedict XVI received with cheers and applause

Pope thanks the faithful

Two days after his historic resignation announcement, the Pope showed up publicly on Wednesday again. He thanked the faithful for prayers and great sympathy. “I have felt  love for me the  in these days”, said the outgoing head of the church in a short speech before the General Audience in Rome.

Benedict reiterated the reasons which led to his decision. The decision was made in “full freedom” for the good of the Church, Benedict stressed before thousands of faithful in the Nervi Hall. He had become aware that he could no longer continue papacy with the necessary power.

“Continue to pray for the Pope and the Church”

He had decided to resign, “long after I prayed and examined my conscience before God. I am aware of the gravity of this process, but at the same time I realize that I am no longer in a position to exercise the Petrine ministry with the power that demands it”, the Pope said.

He is encourage by the certainty that the Church belongs to Christ, who never lacked guidance and care. “I thank everyone for the love and prayer with which they have been with me. Continue to pray for the Pope and for the Church! I felt the power of prayer in those for me physically challenging days, “the Pope said.

Continue reading

What happens with Pope Benedict XVI. after February 28

As the Vatican announced on Tuesday, Benedict XVI. had a cardiac pacemaker implanted about ten years ago. Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi  also said that the batteries had been replaced three months ago during a routine surgery. It did, however, have no impact on the retirement decision. According to Lombardi, the retired pope will not play an active role during the upcoming Conclave. Even in the time during which the Holy See will be vacant, Benedict XVI. will not hold any function: “The Apostolic Constitution provides no role for a Pope to resign.”

Lombardi confirmed that the pope would live in a part of the nunnery in the Vatican. A wing of the monastery was currently being restored. The monastery with twelve cells extends over four floors. There is also a chapel and library. Around the monastery there is a large garden, where vegetables and fruit trees grow . The monastery is an oasis of calm in the heart of the Vatican.

Continue reading